Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Plein Air Events not to be missed

This view of Mt. Hood is from the WA side. In fact I painted it a couple of weeks ago overlooking Hood River where a plein air show is about to take place at the Columbia Art Gallery, the Pacific NW Plein Air 2010. I participated in the first event but for some reason the family in the Midwest seemed to come first thereafter. I was hoping to be a participant this year again but it wasn't meant to be. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise with all that has happened in my life of late. Funny how things have a way of working out the way they are meant to without us knowing the reasons why. I will start trusting in that more as time goes on. I was blessed to have had the opportunity to paint when and where I did ... and the weather was a bit warmer! Anyone remember the weather a couple of weeks ago? What a difference a day can make for our plein air painting experiences! I've been watching the blogs of a few fellow artists, Celeste and Eric Bowman among others. Each should give you a good indication of the event. I want to commend all my colleagues "in the field" for their talents and of course their fortitude this windy week in the Columbia Gorge. Hopefully many fellow artists and patrons will come out to support these wonderful painters and their testimony to the elements as they captured the essence of outdoor painting in the NW. I for one can't wait to see the results of their efforts!

If anyone should venture to Central OR this weekend and/or through the month of September there is another Plein Air Event at the Clearwater Gallery in Sisters, OR which hosts the Plein Air Painters of OR (PAPO) 3rd Annual Juried Exhibit 2010 called "Impressions of the Seasons" juried by Richard McKinley. An event I did participate in this month. It features over 40 works by artists from all over the state. The opening reception on Sat Sept 4th will surely be worth the journey! Enjoy the bountiful plein air paintings and activities available this season!

2 comments:

  1. great post, Pam--and your mountain painting is superb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened to see a little thumbnail of your Mt Hood Painting. Masterful, I love how you captured the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete