Friday, January 14, 2011

Ringing in the New Year


Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
That's how the light gets in
That's how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen


Happy New Year! Many people would be surprised I have quoted Leonard Cohen in the spirit of celebration and happiness. At times his works can impart a heavy message. Songs and poetry allow room for individual interpretation just as our visual art does. This verse speaks to me as I begin to look ahead in 2011. When I look back on my past works, not all turned out as I imagined they would when I first set my brush to the canvas. I get frustrated at times, even though intellectually I know I'm learning something from the experience. However, in the spirit of ringing in the New Year, I realize I should be celebrating each time I finish any painting. Why Not? Maybe it isn't perfect, maybe it has a little crack in it but isn't the bright side of that, as Leonard Cohen so brilliantly states, "that's how the light gets in?" Each work has its own uniqueness whether it followed my initial plan or not. The piece shown here is one of several small works (9x8) that a friend commissioned me to do last year. Her request started with a vision; several original oils inlaid on the front of an antique cabinet. We collaborated on subject matter but had no idea how it was all going to come together. One idea led to the next and eventually created something beautiful. I have decided to begin 2011 with that same outlook; taking one idea at a time, one piece at a time, each building upon the other. Not to form a perfect offering but to start ringing some bells with all that I've got. Celebrating the fact that any cracks I see are guiding me along my path. I feel lighter already. Do you hear the bells ringing?

No comments:

Post a Comment