Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Getting in touch with my roots


I realize I haven't blogged for a bit. I took a little time off for celebrating a special occasion with family. Which got me thinking about my roots. But for the sake of time...I'll move right along to the canvas. Let's just say root vegetables are easier to visualize and understand sometimes than family. And where else would I find my root vegetables than at New Seasons . You're getting the picture now! Also by actually painting root vegetables I can dig into my topic tangibly. Sometimes the act of painting allows both sides of my brain to function simultaneously... One physically and the other subconsciously. I found this small 8x8 square canvas and thought I'd just see where it would take me. I've heard that a square canvas tends toward a more intimate composition or that the artist is taking an intimate look at their subject, something like that. I just happen to like that size for certain objects I am painting. The colors again that I chose to use were warm and the fresh beets; one red, and two golden led to the title: "Two Plus One". I couldn't believe how hard and heavy these three beets were when I carried them into my studio. They were difficult at first to arrange close together without them fighting for dominance in the composition. Yet while painting them with my juicy oils and soft brushes, they took on another look and feel to me. Quick strokes became slower, softer strokes, edges became blurred, some very interesting reflections surfaced from the table, and for some reason the blemishes on the surface seemed to also be an important part of the whole. All the imperfections, the hairy stubble, the remainders of the stems and leaves that were cut off before I purchased them, seemed to give each one its own identity and texture. As this painting emerged from my canvas I accepted it as it was. I kind of liked it just the way it was and didn't fuss over it. It is drying in the other room now and I'll leave it be until I feel like revisiting it again. Hmmmm.....maybe this painting session was a reflection on my own roots! If so it will be a continuing saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment